How to make your own hair scrunchies at home
All of my hair scrunchies are handmade one by one. I will be sharing with you how to make your own hair scrunchies from home. Whether you want to try out a new DIY for yourself or make a special handmade gift for some friends, it's always fun to try out something new. I recommend watching this short video tutorial first and then follow the step by step instructions below. No exact measurements will be given as it will depend how much 'scrunch' you want in your scrunchie and the size of the scrunchie you want to create. You can reference to my FAQ's to see the size of elastics used in my various scrunchie sizes.
Step by step hair scrunchies tutorial
What you will need:
- 1/4" Elastic
- Safety Pin
- Needle for hand sewing
- Thread that matches your fabric
- Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
- Measure the elastic to fit around your wrist comfortably and allow an extra 1cm for the overlap.
- Lay your fabric down on a clean, flat surface with the right side down.
- Using the measuring tape, measure out a long rectangle and mark with the chalk. The length of your rectangle should be 2-4 times longer than the length of your elastic depending on how much 'scrunch' you want in your scrunchie.
- Cut out your fabric using the chalk as your guideline
- Flip your rectangle in half lengthwise with the right side in.
- Using a sewing machine, sew a straight line along the long open edge.
- Using the safety pin, pin together your elastic and the corner of the rectanglar tube.
- Feed the elastic through the tube - this step will get the elastic into the scrunchie & flip the fabric right side out at the same time.
- Remove the safety pin and hand sew the elastic ends together with a 1cm overlap.
- Once the elastic is secure, flip the remaining fabric right side out.
- Hand sew the open ends together using a hidden stitch.
- Adjust and even out your scrunchie and you're done!
- Repeat these steps for each scrunchie you want to create. Play around with the length of the rectangle until your get your desired scrunchie look.
I hope you enjoyed making your own hair scrunchie - Please do share your creations with me ♥ I would love to see them!